In 1979, III was incorporated as a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) through the joint efforts of public and private sectors, to support the development/applications of the information industry as well as the information society in Taiwan.
Besides technology advancement, III’s mission has evolved from Information Technology (IT) to Information and Communication Technology (ICT) development with a wide social coverage.
Since its inception, III has been a source of vision, innovation and technological excellence. It is a major contributor to Taiwan’s development into a significant player in the global ICT industry. Whilst dedicated to reinforce industrial development, III has also helped promote full utilization of ICT technologies hence advancing the establishment of a modern information society in Taiwan. As a result, Taiwan ranks 12th in the WEF/GCI (Global Competitiveness Index) and 11th in the WEF/NRI (Network Readiness Index) in 2009-2010.
III’s unique success is attributed to a well-orchestrated cooperation between the government and private sectors, which has drawn attention worldwide (e.g. WEF information technology report 2005 - 2006). Today, with more and more international collaborative projects that offer the benefits of its engineering expertise and management skills, III has been aiding many other countries across the globe to develop their own ICT industries and build their own information infrastructures for economic competitiveness and social development.
III not only emphasizes cross-disciplinary environment, university-industry collaborations, techno-cultural co-development, but also has supported Taiwan’s ICT industry with advanced technologies and international links that help strengthen global competitiveness, focusing on areas such as:
- Intelligent Digital Life, embedded systems(MeeGo, Android), mobile multimedia, networks/communications, smart handheld devices, information appliances, sensor networks, audio/video codes, 3D graphics, WiMAX, broadband and wireless industries, Green ICT, information security, Telematics, WAVE/DSRC
- Strategic planning and development of large scale national infrastructure and application systems, such as e-Government, e-Transportation, e-HealthCare, e-Logistics, e-Weather, e-Banking, Natural Disaster Mitigation and RFID applications,
- Cloud computing, Living Lab, S.E.E. (service experience engineering methodology),
- Market intelligence gathering and analysis, science and technology law implication, promotion and media services,
- Future Smart Classroom, standardized content authoring tool, M-Learn authoring tool, Learning Management Systems (LMS), Content Management Systems (CMS), and Content Trading Platforms that provide e-Learning companies with core technology modules for speeding up their developing process, as well as offer a total solution for enterprises to develop in-house training courses, and
- Professional training on ICT, IT Enabled Services, Operations and Management, and Digital Content fields.