Science and Technology Law
Since its establishment, the Science and Technology Law Institute of III (STLI) has developed the legal and regulatory environments for technological and emerging industries. STLI’s highly competent team of professionals has always believed in innovation, compassion and effectiveness. It has closely followed and participated in the creation of a sound legal environment for technological and emerging industries.
The team’s dedication has enabled the STLI to maintain and expand its core competencies in areas such as technological and industrial development, science and technology R&D systems, cloud computing, technology transfer, intellectual property rights, ICT infrastructure, information security, personal information protection, e-commerce, and emerging technologies, as well as international trade and competition. For the past decade, the STLI has devoted itself to monitoring the latest global trends in legal and regulatory systems, and to guiding Taiwan’s industries towards the international market.
In the future, the STLI will continue to enhance and expand its research capabilities and professional expertise, while at the same time keeping pace with international legal and regulatory practice.
The goal of the STLI is to become a leading think-tank in the Asia-Pacific region that is focused on enhancing science and technology laws and policies, and promoting general industry-wide legal systems.
Achievements and Contributions
Drafting of laws and regulations commissioned by government agencies
Science & Technology R&D
Industrial Technology Development Law (Draft), Science and Technology Protection Law (Draft), etc.
Technology Development Program (TDP)
The Ministry of Economic Affairs Regulations promoting the Development of Industrial Technologies by Research Institutions, Regulations promoting the Development of Industrial Technologies by Enterprises, Regulations governing Ownership Attribution and Utilization of Research and Development Results achieved under the Scientific and Technological Research and Development programs mandated or subsidized by the Ministry of Economic Affairs and its subordinate authorities, etc.
- Information and Communications Fundamental Communications Act, National Communications Digital Convergence Program (2010-2015), Commission Organization Act, Anti-Spam Act (Draft), Ubiquitous Network Society Basic Act (Draft), etc.
Guidelines for e-Commerce, Electronic Signatures Act and its bylaws, Required and Prohibited Items in Standard Contracts for Online Transactions of Retailers (Draft), etc.
Government Document Digitization Act (Draft), e-Invoice Implementation Regulations, Document and File Management Computerization (Amendment), etc.
Includes government or industry IS specifications, issues concerning the legal system for business IS internal controls, issues concerning the legal system for addressing cybercrimes, issues concerning the legal system for personal data protection, and the strategies and implementation of the legal system for information security promotion.
Genetically Modified Technology Act (Draft), Genetically Modified Technology R&D Management Regulations (Draft), Human Organ Depository Management Regulations (Draft), etc.
Culture and Creativity
Digital Content Industry Development Act (Draft), Regulations Governing the Classification of Computer Software, Standard Contracts of Online Games, Cultural and Creative Industry Development Act and its bylaws, etc.
Intellectual Property Rights
Patent Examination Guidelines for Computer Software-Related Inventions, Taiwan Intellectual Property System (TIPS), Enterprise Intellectual Property Reports, etc.
Personal Information Protection
Taiwan Personal Information Protection and Administration System (TPIPAS) and Data Privacy Protection Mark (DP Mark)
- Science & Technology R&D
Recommendations regarding the enactment and amendment of laws and regulations
- Promoted the amendment of the Copyright Act since December 1997 to cope with the development of the Internet (the amendment was promulgated in 2003)
- Promoted the enactment of Article 6 of the Fundamental Science and Technology Act since April 1998 (the law was promulgated in January 1999)
- Promoted the enactment of the Government Scientific and Technological Research and Development Results Ownership and Utilization Regulations by academic institutions since January 1999 (the regulation was promulgated in February 2000)
- Promoted the amendment of the Fundamental Science and Technology Act to preclude the application of Article 4 of the Government Procurement Act on specific government-funded science and technology R&D programs since May 1999 (the amendment was promulgated in May 2003)
- Promoted the enactment of the Domain Name Dispute Settlement Regulations since September 2000 (the regulation was promulgated in March 2001)
- Promoted the enactment of the Electronic Signatures Act since January 2001 (the law was promulgated in November 2001)
- Promoted the amendment of the Criminal Code to include a new chapter (Chapter 36) on Offenses Relating to the Use of Computers and its provisions since September 2002 (the amendment was promulgated in June 2003)
- Promoted the enactment of the Regulations Governing Government-Subsidized Procurement for Scientific and Technological Research and Development since April 2003 (the regulation was promulgated in December 2003)
- Promoted the enactment of the Fundamental Communications Act and National Communications Commission Organization Act since March 2003 (the laws were promulgated in January 2004 and November 2005, respectively)
- Promoted the enactment of the Anti-Spam Act (Draft) since September 2003
- Promoted the amendment of the Pharmaceutical Affairs Act to include Articles 40-1 and 40-2 relating to data exclusivity rights of pharmaceutical products since June 2004 (the amendment was promulgated in February 2005) - Promoted the enactment of the Digital Content Industry Development Act (Draft) since June 2004
- Promoted the amendment of the Patent Act (version of September 2009) to include the provision on experimental use exemption for generic drugs since May 2005
- Promoted the enactment of the Genetically Modified Technology R&D Management Act (Draft), Regulations Governing the Field Tests of Genetically Modified Aquatic Animals and Plants (the regulation was promulgated in April 2009), Managing Bio-safety Assessment and Plantation & Production of Genetically Modified Plants and Organisms Act (Draft), and Position Paper for Taiwan’s Genetically Modified Technology Management Policy (Draft) to coordinate the legal framework of genetically modified technologies since 2007
- Promoted the enactment of the Ubiquitous Network Society Basic Act (Draft) since March 2007
- Promoted the Cultural and Creative Industry Development Act and its bylaws since April 2008 (the law was promulgated in February 2010)
- Promoted the enactment of MOEA’s Regulations for Subsidizing Research Institutes to Proceed Industrial Innovation and Research Development
- Promoted the enactment of MOEA’s Regulations for Subsidizing Academic Institutes to Proceed Industrial Innovation and Research Development
- Promoted the enactment of MOEA Scientific and Technological Research and Development Results Ownership and Utilization Regulations
Emerging Technology and R&D
“The Legal Guide to Technology Transfer”, “The Legal Framework for Hi-tech Industry”, “Statute Index for Technology Development Program (1st to 7th editions)”, “Management of Science and Technology Versus Legal Strategies”, “Exploring the Inter-tangled Biotechnology Law”, “Green Technology and Law”, “A New Perspective on Law and Innovation”, “The Management and Regulation of Genetic Modification Technology Worldwide” (Vols. 1-3), “The Evolution of the Management and Regulation of Genetically Modified Technology in Taiwan and New Trends in the World”, “The Core of Cartagena Protocol on Bio-safety and Its Challenges”, “Innovation, Strategic Management, and Law”, etc.
Internet and Communications
“The Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy Pamphlet”, “Internet Versus Law”, “A Guide to Multimedia Law”, “Compendium of Cases Involving Domain Name Disputes in Taiwan in 2001”, “Developing Expertise in Internet Law”, “Digital Technology and Law”, “The Application of e-Commerce Law”, “Guide to e-Commerce Law”, “The Future of Digital Technology Law”, “Law in the Digital Age”, “Science and Technology Law in the Next Generation”, “Guide to e-Commerce Operations, Management, Marketing and Law”, “An Easy Guide to Domain Name Dispute Resolution”, “A Blueprint for the Utilization of personal information”, etc.
“Legal Guidelines for Digital Content Market in China”, ” Graphical Illustration of Intellectual Property Management”, ”Decoding Intellectual Property Management”, “Key to Intellectual Property Management”, “Judicial Case Analyses of Intellectual Property Rights in China－The Chapter on Disputes regarding Unfair Competition”, “Judicial Case Analyses of Intellectual Property Rights in China－The Chapter of Disputes regarding Technological Contracts”, “Judicial Case Analyses of Intellectual Property Rights in China－The Chapter on Disputes regarding Intellectual Property”, “Compendium of Case Rulings related to Business Secrets”, “A Practical Manual on Intellectual Property Rights Management”, “Outlook of EDI Agreement”, etc.
- Emerging Technology and R&D
Publishes the monthly Science & Technology Law Review since April of 1989
Chinese and English e-News
Regularly delivers Chinese and English legal news concerning science and technology via email
Provides the latest global information on legal matters concerning science and technology; features significant research reports and activity information, and delivers online legal consulting services. Related websites are as follows:
Domain Name Dispute Resolution Service: http://stli.iii.org.tw/twnic/
Taiwan Intellectual Property Management System: http://www.tips.org.tw
e-Commerce Legal Environment: http://gcis.nat.gov.tw/eclaw/
Taiwan Personal Information Protection and Administration System: http://www.tpipas.org.tw/Home/
“Conference on the Judicial Yuan Information Law” (with the Judicial Yuan as co-host), “Training on Information Law for Public Prosecutors” (with the Ministry of Justice as co-host), “Training Course on Science and Technology Law”, “Training Course for Patent Engineers”, “Workshop for Patent Engineers”, “Training Course on Patent and Technology Analysis”, “Basic Course on Intellectual Property”, “TIPS Intellectual Property Management Personnel Training Course”, “Practical Training Course on TIPS Implementation”, “TIPS Self-Appraisal Course”, “Practical Course on Cross-Strait Industrial Law”, “Training Course on Emerging Biotechnology Business Opportunities and Legal Specification Trends”, “New Generation Energy Law Analysis and Industrial Innovation Opportunities”, “Introduction to e-Commerce and Consumer Protection”, “Introduction to e-Commerce and Web 2.0”, “Practical Training on e-Commerce Law”, “Patent Portfolio Management and Litigation Strategy of Korean Companies”, “TPIPAS Training Course”, etc.
Guidance for Enterprises
Includes Guidance for Manufacturers in the Development of an IP Management System, e-Patent Technology Unit, Guidance in Patent Application for Industries, Patent Development and Promotion Plan for Information Technology Industries, Establishment and Promotion of TIPS, Consultation and Guidance in the field of Technology Law, Legal Consultation Services for e-Commerce and others.
Domain Name Dispute Resolution
The STLI has been approved and commissioned by the Taiwan Network Information Center (TWNIC) to handle domain name disputes since 2001.
The STLI’s in-house legal team is familiar with substantive and procedural laws. It works together with engineers, specializing in information and communication technologies while providing professional infringement analysis services.