Where We Started
In the early 1970s, Taiwan faced crucial challenges arising from global energy crisis and trade protectionism implemented by industrial countries. It thus became top priority of the government to come up with policies on industrial and economic development so as to transform the traditional industrial model into the technology-intensive industrial model and to increase Taiwan’s competitiveness.
On 17th May 1979, Executive Yuan passed the “Proposal on Science and Technology Development” in its 1663 Grand Meeting, resolving to incorporate a non-governmental organization— “Institute for Information Industry” (“III”) through the joint efforts of public and private sectors. Later on 24th July, with persistent efforts from past Senior Advisor to the Presidency, Mr. Kuo-Ting Li, III was established so as to “promote effective application of information technology, increase national comprehensive competitiveness, create preconditions and environment for information industry to develop, and to strengthen the competitiveness of information industry.”
In recent 40 years, III has taken part in planning and promoting public policies related to information industry. It has contributed to the pioneer research and development in information and communication technology, the deepening and broadening of information applications,the training and education of talents in this field and the participation in building infrastructure for national information technology. III’s achievements have been widely recognized. In recent years, following the rapid changes in the global environment, III has modified its objectives and missions as follows:
To increase innovative applications of ICT technology and to facilitate the development of digital economy.
- Research and Develop Advanced Information Technologies and Focus on R&D Services of the Industries.
- Lead the Development of Digital Economy and Facilitate Industrial Innovation and Transformation.
- The Think Tank for Digital Country Development.
- The Organization for the Research and Development of Digital Economy, Industrialization, and Talent Cultivation.
- The Platform with National Level Resources Associated with Digital Innovation and Entrepreneurship.